9/98 to present: Consulting Designer; Port Orchard, WA
● Participated in electrical and instrumentation designs for 26 fishery facilities, the largest of which was a $16 million fish hatchery.
● Coordinated design efforts with engineers, biologists, architects, regulatory agencies, customers, suppliers and utilities. Prepared drawings, schematics, schedules, and installation plans. Recommended equipment specifications. Prepared preliminary cost estimates.
● Prepared power distribution one-line diagrams, equipment layout, control schematics, and P&IDs. Design elements typically include MCCs, control panels, PLCs, HMI, motor control circuits, and standby generators. Prepared conduit schedules, panel schedules, grounding details, lighting layouts and fixture schedules. Reviewed contractor submittals for conformity to project intent. Provided client support during project start-up and training. Developed operating manuals and training materials.
● Specified alarm and monitoring systems. Proposed controls for chemical feed systems. Specified components to monitor pumps, flow rates, dissolved oxygen, levels, temperatures, pressures, and status of equipment.
● Typical projects include: Aquatic life support, controls to divert water upon failure of disinfection equipment; automated systems to clean river intake fish screens (18 projects, including one portable unit); automatic control and remote alarm system for a water pump station; automated flow controls to irrigation canals; hydraulic controls for in-river fish traps, telemetry by phone or radio (Five projects); various level and temperature controls including modulating valves, VFD speed control of pumps and cooling tower fans, heat exchanger flows and warm water bypass during freezing conditions.
● Provided design and specifications for a wetland restoration project. Design elements included automated flows, redundant valve controls, water disinfection, datalogging of temperatures and dissolved Oxygen at various depths, automated response to emergency conditions, automated fish screen cleaning, and upgrades to existing SCADA equipment.
● Provided instrumentation design for a fish refugium to allow biologists to replicate natural events. Design elements include water disinfection, filters, dissolved gas monitors, variable speed pumps to control flows and pressures. Remote monitoring and alarms by radio telemetry.
Controls Engineer: Conferred with customers’ Process Engineers, operators and technicians to determine control schemes for flow, level, speed, pressure and temperature of their processes. Specified equipment and prepared requisitions. Prepared project scope, cost estimates, and bid packages. Prepared P&IDs, control loop drawings, installation diagrams and start-up procedures. Conducted project commissioning and start-up.
● Overflow and level control of a pressurized boiler feedwater tank along with remote monitoring of level, temperature, and pressure.
● Chemical feed for a disinfectant dosing system.
● Nitrogen pressurization of chemical tanks.
● Fuel oil tank upgrade to EPA compliance.
● Solely responsible for a $355,000 project to upgrade steam header pressure controls for a paper mill. This enabled DCS monitoring and control of steam pressures and flows.
Design Engineer: Designed controls for Natural Gas fueling equipment, prepared component specifications, cost estimates, purchase orders, installation plans, electrical schematics, control loop diagrams, and training materials. Fabricated control panels. Programmed PLCs. Proposed plans for integrating equipment and instrumentation into customer’s processes.
Field Engineer: Conducted installation and startup of systems at customer sites. Validated system conformance to specifications and regulations. Resolved problems during startup. Wrote equipment manuals, determined parts supply, maintenance tasks, safety procedures, and service schedule. Provided formal training to customers.
● CNG Bus fueling station
● LNG and CNG Vehicle fuel stations for the Louisiana Dept. of Transportation.
●Natural gas pipeline supply for a remote Montana town from an unmanned facility.
●Fuel supply to industrial furnaces of an aluminum dross recycler in Utah.
●LNG storage and LNG tanker loading from Methane extraction equipment at a Texas landfill. Also at this site: LNG to CNG pipeline supply.
●LNG tanker truck loading facility at a Kansas gas plant
M.S. in Systems Management, University of Southern California
B.S. in Electrical Engineering, University of Massachusetts
Provide key input into the development of teams’ strategic goals during all phases of project development.
Frequently exposed to moving mechanical parts, vibration, voltage, heat, high pressure and hazardous materials. Occasional work outdoors in harsh conditions including mud, ice, wind, heat.
• Ability to work with clients to identify needs & propose solutions, manage project budget & scope and deliver projects.
• Ability to work independently with minimal day-to-day supervision and direction combined with the ability to work within a small team of 2-5 engineers.
• Ability to effectively handle multiple tasks and maintain attention to detail.
• Willingness to work beyond business hours if necessary to deliver the project within expected schedule.
• Thorough knowledge of process controls including the ability to understand the process, identify the appropriate process parameters, data, hazards, outcomes and constraints.
• Implement control methodologies in PLC and HMI platforms.
• Demonstrate proficient understanding of P&IDs, Process Control Narratives (loop descriptions), Electrical Schematics, and other common control system documentation artifacts.
• Effective verbal & written communication skills. Accomplished user of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook).
• Action Oriented – Takes on new opportunities and tough challenges, in good times and bad.
• Collaborates – works with teammates to achieve shared objectives. Gains the trust and support of others.
• Customer Focus – gains insight into client needs. Identifies opportunities that benefit the client, builds and delivers solutions that meet customer expectations. Maintains effective customer relationships.
• Drives Results – achieves results even under tough circumstances and maintains a track record of exceeding goals.
• Ensures Accountability – acts with a sense of ownership. Follows through on commitments. Takes personal responsibility for decisions, actions and failures.
• Instills Trust – gains the confidence and trust of others through honesty, integrity and authenticity.
• Interpersonal discernment – relates with people across levels, functions, and culture. Acts with tact to maintain constructive relationships.
• Manages Ambiguity – often acts without the total picture. Accepts liability of dealing with the uncertainty of change, handles risk effectively, and deals constructively with problems that do not have clear solutions.
• Manages Complexity – asks the right questions to analyze situations, identifies the root cause of problems to assess pros and cons, risks and benefits, of different solution options.
• • Willingly accepts new challenges to overcome project limitations and constraints.
• Situational Adaptability – picks up on situational cues and adjusts accordingly. Applies different approaches based on experience and risk.